Return to curriculum page
Working out what more specific objectives are involved in achieving your aims helps you understand those aims better, and know more precisely what you are aiming for. Again, these are just a few examples.
Students should be able to function and communicate easily in English in a wide range of environments that a young person may have to face, including: higher education, travel, work related and academic research, social events within Turkey.
- Students will be able to express themselves clearly both orally and in writing to agreed benchmark standards.
- Students will be able to deal with material they read or listen to effectively, including: understanding overall meaning, retrieving information, following plot and argument, understanding writers' and speakers' explicit and implicit attitudes, transferring information to other formats, acting on information read and listened to, and understanding exophoric references according to agreed benchmark standards.
- A working knowledge of the English grammatical system (working knowledge means as much as they need in order to use English accurately and effectively to the prescribed benchmark standards).
- A wide, encyclopaedic, knowledge of typical English text and situation types and attendant discourse patterns and styles.
- A lot of words related to thematic areas specified in scope and sequence.
- Strategies for communication management.
- Students will appreciate the auxiliary role of grammar in language learning - that it is there to help us use the language more precisely and effectively rather than being an end in itself.
- Students will develop a tolerance towards partial understanding and ambiguity, particularly when dealing with new vocabulary and instances of usage which appear to be 'outside the rules'.
- Students will become pro-active in searching out opportunities to use their English.
Clarity is everything. If we know what we are tryng to do, we can work out how we should do it.
Now, we are in a position to work out the scope of curriculum content and the sequence it will be dealt in. And, our practical goal, to determine units of work that get us on our way!